One Nation Under God?

Friday, September 11, 2009
I keep getting these requests on Facebook for a cause; to keep the phrase “one nation under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance. I currently refuse to join such a cause, mainly because I believe it’s a lost one. Why bother keeping such a phrase in the Pledge when it’s very obvious that this nation has thrown God away?

This is NOT to say that one should not do things like pray for the nation and be a Christian citizen living in the US. I don’t consider myself a citizen of the United States, though. Legally I am, but my heart does not support this country. Instead, I consider myself a member of God’s kingdom. Much like the Jews under Rome’s government didn’t consider themselves as part of the Roman empire, so I live under the watchful eye of Uncle Sam, yet have no deep-rooted love for his empire. I am a law-abiding citizen, and I will dutifully give to Caesar what is his.

It’s obvious that the United States, by and large, has left God out of the government. In its eyes, the government is god. I’m not going to spend pointless energy trying to keep “under God” in the Pledge; rather, I will spend that energy increasing the citizens in God’s kingdom.

What say you?

2 comments:

cron said...

i think the 'under god' line should be dropped, as there's no one definition of god that we should be saying we're 'under'.

there's also no one line that can be said here that doesn't carry it's own religious connotations.

i recommend adding a line at the very end of the pledge, a loud 'amen!' in tribute to amun, the egyptian god of creation.

or let's just pretext the whole thing with 'by the power of greyskull'.

really, it's all just words. we're still one nation under plutocratic control.

i think we should occasionally rewrite the entire pledge to reflect the current state of our government, so that people know what they are actually pledging allegiance to, and all of the 'patriotic' people who like chanting this nonsense can then openly endorse all of the terrible things the government does in their name.

Aaron said...

Whole-heartedly agree with you Mike! Have you ever read the Inresistable Revolution?

Post a Comment