Becoming a Man

Sunday, August 1, 2010
Sean Johnson, a pastor and a friend of mine at Northwest Community Church, has been speaking a lot lately in the young adults group about the role of a man as a leader of a household. Since I’m not in that position, nor am I in a relationship of any sort, I can ask myself, “What do I need to do RIGHT NOW to prepare myself for a calling such as this?”

Sean covered three main points of responsibility that the man will have in a marriage relationship. These are the priest/prophet, the provider, and the protector. As a priest and a prophet, a man must be able to know the word of God and teach it to others, as well as lead his family in the way of the Lord. As a provider, the man is called to provide for his family in both a monetary way, i.e. “bringing home the bacon,” but also for any other needs, such as emotional and time-based needs. As a protector, the man must make sure his family, especially his wife, feel protected at all times. This does not mean a simple physical security; rather, it covers a wide range of protection needs. I’ll elaborate a little later.


Here are the ways I’ve decided I can strive towards these goals.

1. Priest and prophet: I must devote energy to studying and understanding God’s word. As I stand right now, I do a pathetically small amount of this. I must increase in my knowledge if I am to teach others at some point.
Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.


2. Provider: This is a relatively simple (theoretically speaking) goal for me right now. I must diligently work towards a solid education--one that will give me a chance to succeed in my field of choice once I graduate in a timely manner. This means I have an obligation to avoid slacking on homework and other school assignments.

3. Protector: Since I’m not the head of the household I live in right now, I am not responsible for the main preservation aspects of it. I can do my part, however, to make sure my mom and family in general feel protected by the knowledge that I will not only protect them from bodily harm, when needed, but the knowledge that I will carry out any assigned tasks in the household in a timely manner, so that I can prove that I am worthy of being trusted in larger matters. (Excuse the possible run-on sentence, I’m typing this late at night.)


I hope that my brothers and sisters in Christ (and yes, this means even my siblings) will try to help me in my goals here. This means I am officially opening myself to constructive criticism or rebuke. I hate being told what to do, especially when I have my own agenda and timetable, so this is going to be a serious exercise in humility.

A man’s responsibility is to serve his household, not lord over it in a domineering way. This means making his own priorities the lowest, and the priorities of others around him the highest. Honestly speaking, I am a very selfish person. I pray that this can change in some way, and that I may become more like Christ as I get older. For now, I merely wish to have a modest, distinct set of maturity goals, with direct methods for achieving said goals.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael...

Don't know if you remember me, but I'm Nichole. I was on staff at Summit. The red-head:) Just wanted to say I like your blog...especially this post. Many guys do not take these things seriously at all, and it's awesome to see someone who is thinking through them and preparing now! Way to go! Hope your time since Summit has gone well.
~Nichole

Post a Comment